This is one of the reasons why I love and long for St. Croix on a regular basis. Why I like to call it my second home. It's so rich in culture, pride and love. The above is a video of the islands annual Crucian Christmas Festival. It's the culmination of a season's worth of holidays and celebrations and limin with family and friends. It starts in mid December and they lime and celebrate all the way up to Three Kings Day on Jan 6th. The parade is usually held the Saturday after New Years and they don't stop until the very last troupe has 'whined' down the parade route followed by the very last semi truck pulling a live calypso band with VERY loud speakers. Sylvin's neice Keshaundia won tne Jr. Calypso Queen title and Shakyma, Sylvin's sister, made it home from college to be in one of the troupes.
Here's Keshaundia back in 2005 watching the parade
And here's Shakyma this year in her troupe outfit
I can't wait to take the girls home and show them their inherited Crucian heritage. We were able to attend in 2005, the Christmas before the girls were born. What a special place, what a special people and a very special time in St. Croix
Sylvin's from the Virgin Islands and I'm from Indiana. We met in St. Croix in 2000 when I was on contract there as a nurse. It all started there on a beautiful sandy beach....then lots of moves and an eventful adoption of our twin girls..Esyanne and Evelisse in 2006. We feel our greatest milestone yet!
We've come to a semi cirlce,.....hence the sandy beaches....This site is all about our adventures in Guam and archives of our first year in Michigan together. Me, Syani, Eve and Sylvin too! We're so very very blessed!
Please feel free to leave a comment at the end of a post. I enjoy the feedback and it lets me know you've been here. Or if you prefer email, send me some at guam.usvigirl@gmail.com
We've come to a semi cirlce,.....hence the sandy beaches....This site is all about our adventures in Guam and archives of our first year in Michigan together. Me, Syani, Eve and Sylvin too! We're so very very blessed!
Please feel free to leave a comment at the end of a post. I enjoy the feedback and it lets me know you've been here. Or if you prefer email, send me some at guam.usvigirl@gmail.com
Esyanne & Evelisse growing up in pictures
Saturday, January 10, 2009
Crucian Christmas Festival
Posted by Dani at 4:33 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Rip van Winkle chiming in here...where the heck have I been? Girl, you've been busy posting a bunch of great blogs! I love the festival video. I didn't realize 7 foot waves were uncommon on Guam. It is interesting to get a glimpse from your perspective. The girls look great in their T-shirts and glasses. I imagine Sylvan is pretty busy. I know you are busy too! Keep doing all the wonderful postings. It is great to know what you are up to! Happy New Year!
Love you, miss you,
Jim and Deb
Thanks you two! I know I've been thinking I've got to step it up and post something this week. I'll see what I can put together. Thanks for the comment. love you both!
Wanna come on out and surf?
Post a Comment