
From Wikipedia,
Lawrence Joel
February 22, 1928(1928-02-22) – February 4, 1984 (aged 55)
Lawrence Joel, Medal of Honor recipient
Place of birth Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Place of burial Arlington National Cemetery
Allegiance United States of America
Service/branch United States Army
Years of service 1946-1973
Rank Sergeant First Class
Unit 41st U.S. Infantry
Battles/wars
Korean War
Vietnam War
*Operation Hump
Awards Medal of Honor
Sergeant First Class Lawrence Joel (February 22, 1928–February 4, 1984) was a United States military veteran. He served in the United States Army in both the Korean War and the Vietnam War. While serving in Viet Nam, as a medic with the rank of specialist five assigned to 1st Battalion of the 503rd Infantry in the 173rd Airborne Brigade, Joel received the Silver Star and the Medal of Honor for his heroism in a battle with the Viet Cong that occurred on November 8, 1965. He was the first living black American to receive this medal since the Spanish-American War in 1898.
He is buried in Arlington National Cemetery Arlington, Virginia.[1] His grave can be found in section 46, lot 15-1.
Veteran's Day has always been a special holiday for me. Even before I married Sylvin. I respect the men and women that have given service and that have sacrificed their lives believing in this country's freedom and what the United States stands for. But most of all these men and women believed in a higher power, God Bless America. God, you can feel the love for him in your heart when you remember these brave Veterans.
I spoke with a Veteran yesterday that I have the privilege of calling a friend. I don't know what he endured exactly when he was fighting in Vietnam. I can't even begin to imagine. Frankly, I'm sure I don't want to know, but what I do know is I'm grateful to him, that one person who stood up for what he believed and what he felt was right in his soul. God was with him and brought him home safely. I pray for all the men and women in our Armed Forces that they know God's love, believe with all their hearts that they're part of something bigger and know that freedom doesn't come easy but worth fighting for. I'm ever so grateful.
Have you thanked a Veteran today!?
Sylvin's from the Virgin Islands and I'm from Indiana. We met in St. Croix in 2000 when I was on contract there as a nurse. It all started there on a beautiful sandy beach....then lots of moves and an eventful adoption of our twin girls..Esyanne and Evelisse in 2006. We feel our greatest milestone yet!
We've come to a semi cirlce,.....hence the sandy beaches....This site is all about our adventures in Guam and archives of our first year in Michigan together. Me, Syani, Eve and Sylvin too! We're so very very blessed!
Please feel free to leave a comment at the end of a post. I enjoy the feedback and it lets me know you've been here. Or if you prefer email, send me some at guam.usvigirl@gmail.com
We've come to a semi cirlce,.....hence the sandy beaches....This site is all about our adventures in Guam and archives of our first year in Michigan together. Me, Syani, Eve and Sylvin too! We're so very very blessed!
Please feel free to leave a comment at the end of a post. I enjoy the feedback and it lets me know you've been here. Or if you prefer email, send me some at guam.usvigirl@gmail.com
Esyanne & Evelisse growing up in pictures
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Have you thanked a Veteran lately?
Posted by Dani at 2:55 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment