CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Gab Gab Beach

Gab Gab Beach
Sylvin's from the Virgin Islands and I'm from Indiana. We met in St. Croix in 2000 when I was on contract there as a nurse. It all started there on a beautiful sandy beach....then lots of moves and an eventful adoption of our twin girls..Esyanne and Evelisse in 2006. We feel our greatest milestone yet!
We've come to a semi cirlce,.....hence the sandy beaches....This site is all about our adventures in Guam and archives of our first year in Michigan together. Me, Syani, Eve and Sylvin too! We're so very very blessed!
Please feel free to leave a comment at the end of a post. I enjoy the feedback and it lets me know you've been here. Or if you prefer email, send me some at guam.usvigirl@gmail.com

Esyanne & Evelisse growing up in pictures

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Papi's home for a while




(The girls love wearing our shoes and they found Papi's boots. Eve's in the white shirt, Sy's in the blue. If you click onto the picture it'll blow up bigger so you can see clearer. Enjoy!)
Sylvin made it home! Yeah, but he had to stand duty the first day back. So the three of us spent alot of time on the ship with him on Friday. DJ, one of the other chief's on board volunteered to relieve him for a few hours so he could come home and spend time with us here for lunch. We went back down to the ship and I brought him dinner and the girls were able to run around the chief's mess on board, so it was a nice homecoming anyway. He spent the night on the ship and we three girls went home. Only to wake up Saturday morning to a 6.7 earthquake! I had gotten up to go to the bathroom, a rare occurrence, and I had just got back into bed when I began to feel the mattress tremble. I was questioning myself and the situation when all the sudden the trembling increased into an undeniable bed shaking earthquake! Geeze they're freaky! Feels like someone had just dropped a quarter in the bed and there's not a slot I can assure you. I asked Sylvin when he got home if he noticed it or not? I wondered with him being on the ship, but he said yes they felt it too. He said they were all debating if the engines started up by themselves or not. I guess being moored up to the pier with shore tie cables that are extremely heavy assist in the experience. We made the Chicago Tribune paper!?

6.7 quake jolts Guam; no damage or injuries reported
By Associated Press
8:24 PM CDT, May 9, 2008


HAGATNA, Guam - An undersea earthquake off Guam with a preliminary magnitude of 6.7 shook the U.S. territory Saturday morning, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

There were no reports of damage or injuries. A magnitude-6 earthquake can cause severe damage.

The quake failed to generate any destructive, widespread tsunami, according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Honolulu.

The quake struck at 7:51 a.m. at a depth of 54.4 miles, the survey said in a statement. It was centered 125 miles west-southwest of Hagatna, Guam, and 250 miles southwest of Saipan in the neighboring Northern Mariana Islands, it said.

Kim Alba, lifestyle editor at the Pacific Daily News, said that the quake jolted her house and woke her up, but that the shaking was apparently the extent of its impact on the island.

Air Force Tech Sgt. Brian Bahret, spokesman for Guam's Andersen Air Force Base, said there were no reports of damage there. And Sarrah Iguel, a dispatch operator for Civil Defense in the Marianas, said no one called to report damage.

Guam is west of the international date line, about 3,700 miles southwest of Hawaii

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is very cool that the girls got to run around the ship and that you were able to take sylvan dinner.
I'm sure you have heard by now that we had an eathquake here also. It wasn't as big as the one there but we felt it and the aftershocks the next day. So glad you guys are doing good. Thanks for all the up-dates!!!
Love ya,
Kevin and Toni

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Papi's home for a while. Your pictures look great! Where are the pictures of you? I wonder if your quake had anything to do with China's quake? Man, if I lived in an area with a threat of tsunamis, I'd be wearing floaties everywhere! We're glad you are all OK.
Love James and Debbie

Anonymous said...

Yikes Girl!!
If it were me, I grab the next plane home!! I can't even imagine what that is like and I don't want to know!! You are a brave woman!!
love ya lots!!!